Sunday, May 18, 2008

May 19, 2008

"Happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding. Long life is in wisdom's right hand, in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasantness, and all her paths are peace." Proverbs 3:13, 16-17

I still remember the day like it was yesterday. I was a young teenager helping my neighbor put up hay. We were going to unload the trailer into a small shed. He was throwing the bails off the trailer and I was to toss them on to the back of the loft. I grabbed the first bail, swung it up behind me to throw it and when I did, it hit the roof of the shed. The bail sailed back on its journey and suddenly searing pain crashed down on my bare back. I had bashed a huge red wasp nest when I hit the roof and soon they were all over my back stinging me. In life we occasionally back into a wasp's nest. It can't be helped. But to take a bail of hay and bash one, well that's dumb. God can help us avoid situations in life that sting us. Other people's quarrels, bitterness, anger, jealousy - why allow them to drag you into it? Be aware that an angry person is an active recruiter. They will try to share their anger with you, to convince you to get on their side. If you give in you'll catch yourself upset over someone else's quarrel that often has nothing to do with you. God can help you be graciously noncommittal. You can be free to serve the Lord and avoid other peoples wasp nest.

Thought for the week: Invention is the mother of necessity. -- Thorstein Veblen

Funny for the week: "Young Patient"

A pediatrician in town always plays a game with some of his young patients to put them at ease and test their knowledge of body parts.

One day, while pointing to a little boy's ear, the doctor asked him, "Is this your nose?"

Immediately the little boy turned to his mother and said, "Mom, I think we'd better find a new doctor!"

"Stress"
I'm dyslexic, and attended a conference about the disorder with a friend. The speakers asked us to share a personal experience with the group. I told them stress aggravates my condition, in which I reverse words and letters when I'm tense.

When I finished speaking, my friend leaned over and whispered to me, "Now I know why you named your daughter Hannah.

Me? I’m lexdysic too………………….Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Spell Gomorrah. (Don’t ever say you never get any of these right!) Actually I was just seeing if any of you read this far.

This week’s question: Whose daughter asked for the head of John the Baptist on a platter?

No comments: