Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September 21, 2008

"The Lord is near to those whose heart is broken and He saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

I can still remember it like yesterday. I stood with my hands locked in the chain link fence while tears of pain ran down my face. The ground shook and the deafening roar of the jet engines drowned out my cry and the huge airplane lifted off the Charlotte Douglas runway. On board that plane was the girl I had just given my heart to and asked to marry me. She was on her way back to Texas where she was in school. I had to remain here. We would see each other again at the next break, but in the mean time, the separation was agony. The Bible tells us that our Heavenly Father performs a special miracle in these times of misery. He could build a protective umbrella around us, to shield us from any and all hurts. Instead, the tenderness and kindness of God is clearly seen when life has left us dazed and bewildered. Your Father will, in time, heal your grief, your disappointment and your heartache. In the meantime, He doesn't send help; He comes to you. He is especially near His struggling child, supporting you, helping you. If you listen above the roar of the immediate pain, you can hear Him say, "I'll help you get through this, just trust me." And, He did.

Thought for the week: About the time we think we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. -- Herbert Hoover

Funny for the week: After a church service on Sunday morning, a young boy suddenly announced to his mother, "Mom, I've decided to become a minister when I grow up."

"That's okay with us, but what made you decide that?"

"Well," said the little boy, "I have to go to church on Sunday anyway, and I figure it will be more fun to stand up and yell, than to sit and listen."

Humor

* * * * * *

"Two fellows were driving a delivery truck down a road when they came to a tunnel. The sign above said: 'Warning: Maximum Height 10 feet zero inches,' so they got out and measured their truck. Unfortunately, the truck was just over 12 feet high.

"They didn't know what to do, when finally one of them looked in both directions and said, 'I don't see any police, let's go for it!'"

Daily Encounter

I think they were from Hudson, not Lenoir......................... Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: How many days did water flood the earth in Genesis? 150 days (Gen 7:24)

This week’s question: What was the garment of John the Baptist made of?

No comments: