Monday, December 8, 2008

December 8, 2008

"And she will bear a son and you shall call his name Jesus, for it is He who will save His people from their sins." Matthew 1:21

"The two stood facing each other. Neither spoke. The extremes of the universe were before me (Gabriel). God robed in Light, each thread glowing. Satan canopied in evil, the very fabric of his robe seeming to crawl. Peace contrasting panic. Wisdom confronting foolishness. One able to rescue, the other anxious to condemn.

I have reflected much on what happened next. Though I have relived the moment countless times, I'm as stunned as I was at the first. Never in my wildest thoughts did I think my King would do what He did. Had He demanded Satan's departure, who would have questioned? Had He taken Satan's life, who would have grieved? Had He called me to attack, I would have been willing. But God did none of these.

From the circle of Light came His extended hand. From His throne came an honest invitation. 'Will you surrender? Will you return to me?'

I do not know the thoughts of Satan. But I believe that for a fleeting second the evil heart softened. The head cocked slightly, as if amazed that such an offer would be made. But then it yanked itself erect.

'Where will we battle?' he challenged.

The Father sighed at the dark angel's resistance. 'On a hill called Calvary.'

'If you make it that far.' Satan smirked, spinning and marching out the entryway. I watched as his spiny wings extended, and he soared into the heavenlies. The Father stood motionless for a moment, then turned back to the book. Opening to the final chapter, He slowly read words I had never heard. No sentences. Just words. Saying each, then pausing:

Jesus,

Nail,

Cross,

Blood,

Tomb,

Life.

He motioned toward me, and I responded, kneeling again before Him. Handing me the necklace, He explained, 'This vial will contain the essence of Myself; a Seed to be placed in the womb of a young girl. Her name is Mary. She lives among My chosen people. The fruit of the Seed is the Son of God. Take it to her.'

'But how will I know her?' I asked

'Don't worry. You will.'

I could not comprehend God's plan, but my understanding was not essential. My obedience was. I lowered my head, and He draped the chain around my neck. Amazingly, the vial was no longer empty. It glowed with Light.

'Jesus. Tell her to call My Son, Jesus.'

Cosmic Christmas by Max Lucado, pages 26-30

Thought for the week: "There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all." - Ogden Nash

 

Funny for the week: "Secure Buildings"

Why the Military can't communicate with each other. . .

If you tell the Navy to secure a building, they will turn out the lights and lock the door.

If you tell the Army to secure a building, they will occupy it and forbid entry to those without a pass.

If you tell the Marines to secure a building, they assault with heavy fire, capture the building, fortify it and call for an air strike.

If you tell the Air Force to secure a building, they will negotiate a three year lease with an option to buy.

That explains it……………… Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Finish the following: "In all thy ways acknowledge him………" "and He shall direct thy paths."

This week’s question: As recorded in Leviticus, what did God say was the punishment for people sacrificing their offspring to Molech?

No comments: