Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 22, 2009

"The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

A certain Lt. at the Lenoir Police Department once told me after he was assigned to the night shift that he had learned "I don't have to like it to do it. I've done it before and I can do it again." Wouldn't it be nice if your chosen vocation was free from responsibilities that you really dislike? Sorry. That just doesn't happen. There will always be parts that you really dread to do, would rather not do, but you have to do. Kind of like rising kids and cleaning fish. It helps me to remember in those times that God has placed me in this present circumstance and He knows the parts I like and the parts I don't like. But He has also promised to give me the power to discipline myself to face the days when I am tired, mildly irritated and looking at things that need to be done that I don't want to do. The interesting thing is that after I go ahead and finish those kinds of responsibilities there is a deep satisfaction settles over me. Isn't it wonderful that we have a God who wants to help us with the jobs that "I don't want to do, but I have to do?"

Thought for the week: All general statements are false. -- Unknown, The Ultimate Law

Funny for the week: "New Car Warning"

A husband, the owner of a new car, was somewhat reluctant to allow his wife to drive his prize possession, even to the grocery store, which was a few blocks from the house.

After she insisted, he finally relented, cautioning her as she departed, "Remember, if you have an accident, the newspaper will print your age."

One-Liner

"Santa Claus has the right idea ... Visit people only once a year."
- Victor Borge

But do you have to bring gifts?.................Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: What relative was Lot to Abraham? Nephew (Gen. 12:5)

This week’s question: How many days did water flood the earth in Genesis?

No comments: