Sunday, January 31, 2010

February 1, 2010

Many times I have counseled with people who are going through a break-up of a relationship or divorce. Most of the time there is a lot of “blame throwing”. It is so easy to see faults in others when one is in pain in a relationship. I ran across this article in “Daily Encounters” devotional which I think needs repeating.

“I have witnessed that in most failed relationships too many people play the blame-game and as long as they blame the other person for their problems, without facing what they have contributed to the breakup, there is no resolution and there is no hope for resolving the conflict.

The reality is that we are as sick--or as healthy--as the people we are attracted to.

God's Word also reminds us to live, if possible, peaceably with all people, which is implying that it isn't always possible to do this. And that it is better to live in the corner of the housetop than in a wide house with a quarrelsome partner. So when we think about what God has to say about divorce, let's not forget the many other Scriptures that apply to relationships.

Another thing I urge divorcees is to see their failed marriage as God's wakeup call for them to face and work through their character issues/weaknesses to ensure that they won't make the same mistake again for what we don't resolve, we are destined to repeat.”

Daily Encounter

Thought for the week: Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
-- Frank Zappa

Funny for the week: "62nd Birthday"

My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was and I told him, "Sixty-two."

He was quiet for a moment, then he asked, "Did you start at one?"

No, she started at -9 months………..Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Fill in the blank from the Psalms 150:6 with one word: “Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord.”

This week’s question: What nationality was Hagar?

No comments: