Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 3, 2010

“and he said to them, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. This is the great and foremost commandment.’” Matthew 22:38

The sign said honk if you love Jesus; so I honked, and a policeman arrested me for disturbing the peace.

The sign said smile if you love Jesus; so I smiled all day long and people thought I was a staff worker for Jimmy Carter.

The sign said wave if you love Jesus; so I waved with both hands and lost control of my car and crashed into the back of a church bus.

Oh God – If I cannot honk, or smile, or wave,

How will Jesus know that I love Him? (copied)

The exhortation to love God is found ten times in Deuteronomy and nowhere else in the Pentateuch. (First five books of the Old Testament) Jesus quoted this verse from Deuteronomy 6:5 because it is the essential creed of Judaism. This love of God involves the total person. His heart was regarded as the seat of the mind and will; it controlled the emotions. The soul referred to the source of life; one’s very being. The word “might” or strength indicated our ability to work and do. Our love for God should dominate our emotions, direct our thoughts and be the dynamic for our actions. When we have this degree of love for God, it will be evident in how we treat others.

Thought for the week: Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action, where it often substitutes for both. -- John Andrew Holmes, "Wisdom in Small Doses"

Funny for the week: Exercise

The woman needed encouragement to keep pedaling the exercise bike in her gym. So my friend, the gym manager, said, "Close your eyes and imagine you're riding along Broadway in New York City. It will be more interesting." Inspired, the woman cycled on, but after a minute she stopped.

"What's wrong?" asked my friend.

"The traffic light's red," she replied.

I love it ! ………..Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Name the four brothers of Jesus. James, Simon, Joses (or Joseph) and Jude (or Judas) (Mark 6:3)

This week’s question: Who visited the witch of Endor?

No comments: