Monday, July 12, 2010

July 12, 2010

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Many psychological tests have you compare yourself to an animal to help the psychologist understand you better. When it comes to walking my wife is a cheetah. Sleek, beautiful and fast. Me? I am more like a camel, baggy skin, humps and bumps and I drool a lot. Oh yes, and I am slow, oh so slow. She doesn’t think she is walking unless the rubber on her tennis shoes is smoking. We go to Walley World and she is half way to the door before I get around the car. So different, yet we both tire and sometimes get totally exhausted. That is when my favorite exercise in the world kicks in. REST! Our bodies were designed to work, but to work well, they must also have periods of rest. I am not just talking about the hours of shut eye you get at night, important as it is. We also need those times when we get away from the routine with all its demands and give our mind and body a break. Over and over the Bible tells us that Jesus withdrew away and spent time alone, praying and resting from the crowds. On the seventh day of creation, God took a break and rested. So, if the God of this universe saw rest as necessary dare you challenge him? He said, “Come and I will give you REST!” Have you rested lately? I mean, get away, forget the urgent and allowed Him to give you rest? “For him who knoweth to do right and doeth it not, to him it is a sin.” Excuse me now, I think I will go take a nap.

Thought for the week: When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow

Funny for the week: Where did our innocence go?

While I sat in the reception area of my doctor's office, a woman rolled an elderly man in a wheelchair into the room. As she went to the receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone and silent. Just as I was thinking I should make small talk with him, a little boy slipped off his mother's lap and walked over to the wheelchair. Placing his hand on the man's, he said, I know how you feel. My mom makes me ride in the stroller too..'

I want one of those motorized ones………..Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Does the Bible forbid tattoos? Yes. “You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you; I am the Lord.” (KJV) Leviticus 19:28

This week’s question: In what book of the OT do we find the story of the fall of Jericho?

No comments: