Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September 6, 2010

(I apologize for this being late but I was in West Virginia with my church on a mission trip over labor day and did not get back till late.)

Thought for the week:

“Do not speak evil against one another, brothers and sisters.” James 4:11

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday. Happy Birthday! It reminded me that once she had a co-worker confide something to her about another person that she did not want to know. We were talking about it that evening and my wife said, “If she talks about her like that, I wonder what she tells about me to others?” Good question. A friend of mine once said, “When someone loves you, your name is safe in their mouth.” What a thought. Anyone can speak evil of another person. We can always find something to cut them down about. Destroying someone’s character is so easy. But when you love someone, you desire only to build that person up in the eyes of others. Here is a little exercise to avoid speaking evil of another person. When you are around other people make it a point to look for something excellent or good about them and comment on that. Tell others about the good things you see in others and not the bad. At first it may be very hard to do because you are jealous, envious or just prone to major on the negatives. But if you will try to guard you lips and only speak kind and encouraging things about people you can soon overcome the evil intent of your heart and replace it with the Love of Jesus. After all did Jesus not tell us to treat others as we wanted to be treated? I bet that if we made it a practice of only speaking kind words about others, we would find others speaking kind words about us. What goes around, comes around. But most of all, having another person safe in your mouth can be an awesome witness for the Lord.

Funny for the week: "Singing Practice"

Joe's wife likes to sing. She decided to join the church choir. From time to time she would practice while she was in the kitchen preparing dinner. Whenever she would start in on a song, Joe would head outside to the porch.

His wife, with hurt feelings, said, "What's the matter, Joe? Don't you like my singing?"

Joe replied, "Honey, I love your singing, but I just want to make sure the neighbors know I'm not beating you."

Bet that got him a black eye……….Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: What did the eunuch ask Phillip after Phillip had preached to him about Jesus? He asked Phillip to baptize him. (Acts 8:36)

As we head towards Christmas, I think it would be fun to take a little Christmas test. Each week I will give you a question to see how much you know about Christmas based only on what the Bible says. All are multiple choice. Choose the most correct answer. Answers will follow in next weeks MMM. Good luck!

This week’s question:

1. Joseph was from:

a. Bethlehem

b. Jerusalem

c. Nazareth

d. Egypt

e. Minnesota

f. None of the above

No comments: