Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011

"The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

A certain Lt. at the Lenoir Police Department once told me after he was assigned to the night shift that he had learned "I don't have to like it to do it. I’ve done it before and I can do it again." Wouldn’t it be nice if your chosen vocation was free from responsibilities that you really dislike? Sorry. That just doesn’t happen. There will always be parts that you really dread to do, would rather not do, but you have to do. Kind of like raising kids and cleaning fish. It helps me to remember in those times that God has placed me in this present circumstance and He knows the parts I like and the parts I don't like. But He has also promised to give me the power to discipline myself to face the days when I am tired, mildly irritated and looking at things that need to be done that I don't want to do. The interesting thing is that after I go ahead and finish those kinds of responsibilities there is a deep satisfaction settles over me. Isn’t it wonderful that we have a God who wants to help us with the jobs that "I don’t want to do, but I have to do?"

Thought for the week: "The bonds of matrimony are a good investment only when the interest is kept up."

Funny for the week: "Translation Tries"

A Latin American minister was touring the U.S. in an effort to boost financial support for missionaries and ministries in his home country.

At a church luncheon, he was telling the guests about this home country, his family, and the important work being supported there. As he concluded, he said, "And I have a charming and understanding wife but, alas, no children."

After a pause, he said, haltingly, "You see, my wife is unbearable."

Puzzled glances in the audience prompted him to try to clarify by saying: "What I mean is, my wife is inconceivable."

Observing the laughter in the audience, he realized his mistake, but floundered deeper into the intricacies of the English language by correcting triumphantly, "That is, my wife, she is impregnable!"

Like a lot of preachers, he missed a lot of good stopping places…….Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: How many kings did the Israelites defeat in all to conquer Canaan - 12,18,31,43 , 31 (12 See the book of Joshua.)

This weeks question: What did Jesus say a man would not give his son when he asks for a fish?

No comments: