Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14, 2011


“Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22

Be honest now! Just think with me for a moment. What if? What if you never had a worry or care? Would you act any different? Would you do anything different? I would. If  I had absolutely no care or worry in the world I would be the most arrogant, self righteous, flagrant, flamboyant, fool that ever lived. If there were never times when I had done all I could do and nothing works and I had to totally trust the Lord, then He would not be necessary. If I could solve all my problems and fix all my worries I would never cry out to God and understand his power and care for me. I would never pray or search the scriptures for promises or comfort – why bother? I would become a very self centered thankless creature who learned creative ways to pat himself on the back all the time. I would never experience the godly serenity that comes when I totally turn something over the Lord. The truth is, we all do worry and have cares. We are not the master of our own fate. We are not capable of handling all our affairs or defending ourselves from natural and supernatural assaults. There are those times when we must totally trust the Lord because we are not God and He is. It is part of His design to show us that He really does care for us, and that we really are the apple of His eye and the delight of his heart. Feelings will try to tell us different, but faith will always point us to the promises He has given and which He always will keep. It is in faith we cast our burden upon the Lord, it is in faith we leave them there. Worry? Who me? I wish! But I am trying. How about you?

Thought for the week: “Peace is not the absence of trouble - peace is the presence of God.”
Funny for the week: "Special Delivery"
It was 6 p.m., and I was about to leave the coin laundry where I was employed. My boss called me over and asked if I would mind dropping off someone's laundry on my way home. "It's for my cousin," she apologized, "who's eight months pregnant and can't get out much anymore." I cheerfully agreed and, driving to the address, knocked at the door. A little girl, the sister-to-be, answered.
"Hi, there," I said with a big smile. "Is your mommy home?" Holding up the white bundle of clothes, I explained, "I have a delivery for her."
The child's mouth dropped, and her eyes went wide. "Mom!" She shrieked, "come quick! It's the stork!"

Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Which book in the New Testament says, “But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.”? (1 Corinthians 11:28)
This week’s question: What task was given exclusively to the Levite clan in the Book of Numbers?


No comments: