Monday, December 5, 2011

December 5, 2011


For we have this treasure, in human bodies, to show that the power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted…perplexed, but not in despair; struck down but not destroyed.” 2 Cor. 4:7-8
Eleven o’clock at night – just as I am getting into a good sleep and the phone rings. The Police Department calls and I am needed to assist with a death notification. Ministering to people seldom comes at a convenient time. There are a few times when it is easier that others, but those times are few. I really want to serve the Lord but when I am tired, stressed, discouraged, irritated; the circumstances temp me to quit. (No Scott, I can not walk on water either.) But the truth is that very little of God’s work would get done if we waited for ideal circumstances. Our adversary will insure that senerio never happens. Yet in spite of our human tendency to be tired, discouraged or distracted, it always amazes me how the Lord Jesus seems to bless our efforts, and even more sometimes when we really don’t feel like ministering. I have quoted Charles Swindoll many times but what he said is so true. “There is no ministry without sacrifice.” Paul in his writings said many times that it is when we are weakest, He is strongest. If Jesus’ strength is not flowing through us, then what we are doing is wood, hay and stubble and will be burned up one day. What a waste! Especially if we didn’t even feel like doing it in the first place. Make your ministry count. Allow the hidden treasure of God’s love to flow through you to someone today. Even if you don’t feel like it!  
Thought for the week: "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
Funny for the week: A sweet grandmother telephoned St. Michael's Hospital. She timidly asked, Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?"
The operator said "I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number?"
The grandmother in her weak tremulous voice said, "Norma Findlay, Room 302."
The operator replied, "Let me place you on hold while I check with her nurse."
After a few minutes the operator returned to the phone, "Oh, good news. Her nurse has told me that Norma is doing very well. Her blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back as normal and her physician, Dr.Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged Tuesday."
The grandmother said, "Thank you. That's wonderful! I was so worried! God bless you for the good news."
The operator replied, "You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?"
The grandmother said, "No, I'm Norma Findlay in 302. No one tells me anything!"
And who said seniors aren’t sharp?.......... Chaplain Barnes
Last week’s answer: Who told Zacharias to name his son “John”? (The angel Gabriel – Luke 1:13,19)
This week’s question: Who was the grandson of Boaz?

No comments: