Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 20, 2009

"Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him and honor him." Psalm 91: 14-15

We had a dog at our house named Almond. At four weeks he was found abandoned in a dumpster and taken to a Vet who cared for him for a week. We adopted him. Modern Psychologist might say that it was because of his past. My son says it is because he only had two brain cells, one on each side so he could walk. My wife said it didn’t matter, like me he was cute and she loved him. What you ask was his problem? He was a coward! Bark tough and turn tail and run. He spooked at his on reflection in a mirror. He howled at the sound of wind. He was afraid, period. But let me be sitting in my lazy chair when the fear hits and wham he landed in my lap. All 30 pounds. Why? He found security there. He knew he could transfer the threat to macho master. A calming voice, a calming hand stroking his head and he would lay down and soon be sleeping peacefully. Is God that kind of calming power to you? Occasionally we find ourselves in frightening situations in life and long like Almond did for someone to protect us. Sadly we sometimes think that God is disappointed in us when we are frightened. The opposite is true. Actually He looks forward to when we cling to Him. He really wants to love and protect you. Go ahead, pray and hop in His lap and experience His deep love and fierce protection. (Personal note: Last fall the neighbor’s half wolf dog killed Almond. I lost one of the best friends I ever had to a senseless act of violence. It was my turn to crawl up in God’s lap and cry. He is faithful, and even cares when a pet dies. "God cares for you [to].")

Thought for the week: Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
-- Charles M. Schulz, (Snoopy)

Funny for the week: English Professor

A harried man runs into his physician's office. "Doctor! Doctor! My wife's in labor! But she keeps screaming, ‘Shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't, can't!'"

"Oh, that's okay," says the doctor. "She's just having contractions."

And I bet he charged him for that information too…………….Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: What do both Calvary and Golgotha mean? Place of the skull (John 19:17)

This week’s question: Who is "Yahweh" another name for?

No comments: