Sunday, August 23, 2009

August 24, 2009

"Ask and it shall be given to you; seek and you shall find…" John 7:7

Allow me a personal indulgence today. It is actually December as I write this devotion. I try to stay several months ahead. So if the Lord ever touches you with what is said, you will know it is Him and not me. He makes the application current to what is written months before. But back to the story. I had written all of last months devotions and part of this months devotions day before yesterday. Yesterday I came in planning to continue working on them and could not find them in the computer. My heart sank to my toenails and I thought I would scream. All day I searched but could not find this file. This morning when I kissed my bride good-by I asked her to pray that I would find the file. Before I began this morning I paused and prayed, "God, you know where that file is. You care about the little things in our life too. You know I spent over eight hours working on that devotion file. You know where it is. Please, if you want me to use what I have written, show me where that file is hidden. Amen" I knew my wife was also praying, so I began hunting, again. Within ten minutes as I combed through my files, there it was, winking and grinning like a mischievous little kid at me. Yes I believe God cares about cancer and wars. But I also believe he cares about computer files and police reports. Next time before you start to "seek," remember to follow John’s advice and ask first. It really does work because "He cares for you."

Thought for the week: Lawyers spend a great deal of their time shoveling smoke.
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Funny for the week: (True story)

My son who got his grandfathers dry wit landed a part time job working at Lowe’s Home Improvement Center here in Lenoir for the summer. One day one of our church members came in and as he passed JB said, "What you got for free today?" Without missing a beat, JB shot back, "Anything in the store if you can run fast enough."

Yelp, that’s my boy………….. Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: In whose sack did Joseph hide a silver cup? Benjamin’s (Gen. 44:2)

This week’s question: According to church tradition, which of the original twelve disciples was martyred in Ethiopia?

No comments: