Sunday, August 2, 2009

August 3, 2009

"The Word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord saying, ‘Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I shall announce My words to you.’ Then I went down to the potters house and there he was making something on the wheel. But the vessel that he was making of clay was spoiled in the hand of the potter; so he remade it into another vessel as it pleased the potter to make." Jeremiah 18:1-4 (Italic mine)

When I was in college one of the classes I took was art. We had to experience various mediums of art and pottery was one of them. I could handle the coil and pinch pots, but throwing a pot on a wheel; well let’s say I would have been better to throw it at the wall. Try as I might, my pots would warp, sag, zig and poop. Never did make a decent pot. I think I know a little how God feels when he tries to mold and form us into something unique and beautiful and we resist, go our own way and ruin what he had planned for us. Why can’t we be moldable and allow the MASTER POTTER to make us into what HE would be pleased to make us. When He applies pressure here and pushes us out there He is only creating in us the form He desires to make us a vessel of service to Him. It would be so much more beautiful and useful than the mess we make trying to "self make" us. Feeling a thumb here and a pinch there? Yield and allow the Potter to mold you today. Don’t push back and resist. One day you will be glad you didn’t.

Thought for the week: Good advice is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad example. -- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Funny for the week: Healing the Sick

A guy suffering from a miserable cold begs his doctor for relief. The doctor prescribes pills. But after a week, the guy's still sick. So the doctor gives him a shot. But that doesn't help his condition either.

"Okay, this is what I want you to do," says the doctor on the third visit. "Go home and take a hot bath. Then throw open all the windows and stand in the draft."

"I'll get pneumonia!" protests the patient.

"I know. That I can cure."

I think I went to him once…………….. Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: One gospel (Mark) records that a young man ran away when Jesus was arrested. What was unusual about him? He was naked (Mark 14:51-52)

This week’s question: What eight-letter word means "a falling away from God’s truth"?

No comments: