Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 22, 2010

I solemnly urge you: Proclaim the message, be faithful whether the time is favorable or unfavorable…” Timothy 4:2

I apologize for this MMM being late. I just got back from Haiti. Yesterday was one of those hectic mornings when you are on a mission trip. I had been putting in 20 hour days in the tropical heat and I was so tired. The day before we had ridden a bus for 10 hours from Haiti to The Dominican Republic through dust, military check-pints, poverty and odors that burned the nose. So, instead of getting up and having a quite time, I got up and immediately headed for the airport to fly home. Consequently, I did not have time to have my quite time. It was a choice I regretted. All day I was bombarded with problems and inner turmoil for which I had not taken time to prepare my heart for. Feelings battered my faith and won. Feelings say that if everything is going hunky-dory then God is near and we can relax. Faith says that God will solve our problems even when everything around us is getting worse. Living the Christian life when we “feel” God is near is wonderfully fun and easy. Being faithful when the feelings are not there, and when circumstances are tough, when we feel like we’re in a spiritual desert, that takes faith. Next time when circumstances are not favorable and you want to doubt or let you feelings tell you that God is gone and you are alone, choose to be faithful and trust. Choose to let faith overcome feelings and barge ahead believing God will do all he has promised, exceedingly abundantly more! “I believe, help thou my unbelief!!”

Thought for the week: The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. -- Horace Walpole

Funny for the week: "Sermon Feedback"

They say that a preacher's wife is always his number one assistant.

An example of this comes one Sunday morning after the preacher had just finished his sermon. He went and sat down with his wife and she asked him how he thought the church service went.

The Preacher shrugged and said, "The worship was excellent, and I think the prayer and communion times went quite well, but," he continued, "I just don't think the sermon ever got off the ground."

The wife looked over at him, and before she could stop herself, she said, "Well, it sure did taxi long enough!"

AMEN sister……….. Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Who cut off the ear of a high priest’s servant? Peter (John 18:10)

This week’s question: Which one of Christ’s ancestors was a harlot?

No comments: