Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 23, 2010

“Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of our heart.” Psalm 37:4

I had just finished read a neat little book called, “Who Moved My Cheese?” when I had to make a major decision in our family finances. Normally I am very prone to stay with the status-quo and not change. But after reading the book I chose to go back out in the maze of life and look for more cheese. Someone had moved mine. As usual I did a lot of self inspection and with fear and trembling made the move. Thinking about it I and to admit that I do the same thing in my spiritual life. When it comes to listening to the Lord and attempting new things, I often become paralyzed by the nagging emotional burden of self-doubt. I often wonder how many things the Lord has asked me to do and because of fear and doubt I failed to do them. I simply did not have the confidence in myself or God to believe that it could be done. (Not a pretty picture of someone who has Rev. in front of his name is it?) Sometimes it was because of memories of past failures, intimidation of lack of talent, or just plain fear. Regardless, the task was left undone and a blessing was unclaimed. The good news is that that is not the Jesus way. It is a faith issue and we must learn to put our confidence in the Lord who overwhelmingly makes up for our human shortcomings. So I challenge you along with myself that when Jesus “moves our cheese” to step out in the maze in faith and follow him and “he will give us the desire of our heart.”

Thought for the week: The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office. -- Robert Frost

Funny for the week: Where did our innocence go?

Paul Newman founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for children stricken with cancer, AIDS, and blood diseases. One afternoon, he and is wife, Joanne Woodward, stopped by to have lunch with the kids. A counselor at a nearby table, suspecting the young patients wouldn't know Newman was a famous movie star, explained, That's the man who made this camp possible. Maybe you've seen his picture on his salad dressing bottle?' Blank stares. 'Well, you've probably seen his face on his lemonade carton.' An eight-year-old girl perked up. 'How long was he missing?'

Too long………… Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Where did Abraham grow up? Ur (Gen 11:27-32)

This week’s question: How many horns does the beast have in Revelation 13?

No comments: