Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 25, 2010

“…surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” Gen. 28:16

He wore bib overhauls every day, even to church. He drove an older model Buick and loved his peach farm. He was advanced in years and had turned most of the day to day operation over to his sons and hired hands. He lived with his bride of 70 years in the house they built decades ago and where they raised their boys. He started out with a dairy farm and when the price of milk fell, converted to peach farming. He saved his money and loaned it to churches wishing to build new facilities. Many times I sat beside him at church dinners and chatted about unimportant things. It was only several years after his death that I learned I had been in the presence of one of the wealthiest men in the county I was living in at that time, and I did not know it. He never hinted at his wealth, never flaunted it like the Hollywood set. He just lived a quite peaceable life and used his money to expand the Kingdom of God. I have often wondered how many times I have also been in the presence of God and have been too busy or insensitive to know it? How many times has he come to me as a street person asking for help, or a stranger setting alone on a bench and I blazed by to accomplish lesser things? Maybe you have too. Ask God to open your eyes to see Him in the day to day intercourse you have with people. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Thought for the week: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
-- Oscar Wilde

Funny for the week: "A Touch of Home"

Although we were being married in New Hampshire, I wanted to add a touch of my home state, Kansas, to the wedding. My fiancée, explaining this to a friend, said that we were planning to have wheat rather than rice thrown after the ceremony.

Our friend thought for a moment. Then he said solemnly, "It's a good thing she's not from Idaho."

Yelp, flying spuds would sure hurt…Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer:

7. Who saw the star in the East?

a. Shepherds

b. Mary and Joseph

c. Three Kings

d. Both A and C

e. None of the above The Wise Men did. (They were not Kings) See Matt. 2:2

This week’s question:

8. How many Angels spoke to the Shepherds?

a. One

b. Three

c. A “multitude”

d. None of the above

No comments: