Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22, 2010

"Happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding. Long life is in wisdom's right hand, in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasantness, and all her paths are peace." Proverbs 3:13, 16-17

I still remember the day like it was yesterday. I was a young teenager helping my neighbor put up hay. We were going to unload the trailer into a small shed. He was throwing the bails off the trailer and I was to toss them on to the back of the loft. I grabbed the first bail, swung it up behind me to throw it and when I did, it hit the roof of the shed. The bail sailed back on its journey and suddenly searing pain crashed down on my bare back. I had bashed a huge red wasp nest when I hit the roof and soon they were all over my back stinging me. In life we occasionally back into a wasp's nest. It can't be helped. But to take a bail of hay and bash one, well that's dumb. God can help us avoid situations in life that sting us. Other people's quarrels, bitterness, anger, jealousy - why allow them to drag you into it? Be aware that an angry person is an active recruiter. They will try to share their anger with you, to convince you to get on their side. If you give in you'll catch yourself upset over someone else's quarrel that often has nothing to do with you. God can help you be graciously noncommittal. You can be free to serve the Lord and avoid other people’s wasp nest.

Thought for the week: "I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger."

Funny for the week: "You Know You Are Growing Old When…"

..you've come to the annoying realization that your parents were right about almost everything.

..the bag boy volunteers to help load groceries into your car ... in the "ten items or less" lane.

..you've stopped supporting your children, and started supporting your parents.

..you buy "age-defying" makeup and "anti-wrinkle" creams and believe they work.

..you've realized that all those geeky people in Bermuda shorts walking around Disney World include you.

..you've had three opportunities to buy every single Disney Animated Classic "for the last time in a generation."

I’ma getting thar……..Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer:

11. What is a Heavenly Host?

a. Angel at the gate of heaven to welcome us

b. Angel who invites people to Heaven

c. Angel who serves refreshments in Heaven

d. An angel choir

e. An angel army Definition of "Host" is a military term for army.

f. None of the above

This week’s question:

12. There was snow that First Christmas:

a. Only in Bethlehem

b. All over Israel

c. Nowhere in Israel

d. Somewhere in Israel

e. Mary and Joseph only "dreamed" of a white Christmas

No comments: