Sunday, November 29, 2009

November 30, 2009

Instead of a scripture and thought this week, join me in a prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;

Lord Jesus, next month we will open presents, share gifts and celebrate your birthday. How many will revel in the moment never knowing you, the one we are celebrating? How many will praise Santa for their gifts and never mention your name at all? How many will curse the light because it exposes their debauchery from the night before? Many, I am sure, will willingly choose to avoid any mention of you as they celebrate. And yet, you are there. You smile with the child who opens a shoe box full of treasures. You hug the now single one who weeps a tear because the one they spent last Christmas with is not present now. You fill the hearts of those who listen to the laughter of a child playing with a new toy. You hold the one who's heart longs for the one they love who is away in a foreign war torn land. It's your birthday, and yet you are the one giving the gifts. Nothing we have can compare to what you give, and yet we want to give something to show our love. Something to say "Thank you for loving me." Lord Jesus, I offer to you the only gift I can give you this Christmas; myself. May I become a gift in your hand to those you love. Let the meditation of my heart and the words of my mouth be acceptable in your sight. Happy Birthday Jesus! Amen.

Thought for the week: I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-- Galileo Galilei

Funny for the week: Household Duties

One rainy morning, my mother went for her daily run. As she returned to the house, she slipped and fell, hitting her head on the driveway.

I called the paramedics. When they arrived, they asked my mom some questions to determine her coherency. "What is today?" inquired one man.

Without hesitation, Mom replied, "Trash day."
-- Jaime Swart

Sounds like my late mother-in-law……… Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: What is Omega? The last letter of the Greek alphabet

This week’s question: Who baptized Simon the sorcerer?

No comments: