Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 28, 2010

“God sent forth His son, born of woman, to redeem those who are under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying ‘Abba! Father!’” Galatians 4:4-6

I was watching the TV a couple years ago with my son and they were doing a story on Alaska Crab fishing. One of the captains was a Christian who was very open about his faith. He prayed with the crew and shared his faith openly. He also shared that he and his wife had adopted seven or eight children and he had a picture of them there in the cabin with him. Many times when I was growing up I wondered if I was adopted. All I had to do was suggest this possibility and my mom emphatically put that to rest by stating, “I was there when you were born and you ain’t adopted!” Even so, I believe that adoption is one of the highest expressions of love one can do. Biological origin becomes insignificant as a parent bonds with a child in love. Maybe that is why God chose to adopt us into his family. He didn’t have to forgive us. He didn’t have to let his only begotten son die on a cross for us. But like an adoptive parent, he chose to take us into his family, to make us his children. All he asked for in return was for us to love him, and call him daddy (Abba). He wants to hear from you today. Talk to him in prayer and tell him how thankful you are that he loved you enough to adopt you. He looks forward to hearing from you.

Thought for the week: "Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate."

Funny for the week: "Fore!"

My five-year-old nephew wanted to caddy for my brother's golf game. "You have to count my strokes," my brother told him. "How much is six plus nine plus eight?"

"Five," answered the nephew.

"Okay," my brother said, "let's go."

Starting him out early………….. Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: Complete the following sentence from Psalm 51:10: “Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me.” (Ps. 51:10)

This week’s question: In which book of the Bible do we find the story of Jacob and Esau?

No comments: