Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7, 2010

“Love does not insist upon its own way, is not quick to take offense. Love keeps no score of wrongs.” I Corinthians 13:5

We hear a lot of talk about miracles today but there is one that we don’t hear about often. I am talking about the miracle of forgiveness. Don’t hang up yet. Hear me out. To forgive someone from our own strength is totally impossible. That is why we must have God filling us to be able to do it. Every time I have tried to forgive a transgression in my own strength I find myself stewing in resentment, rehashing the offense and mentally chalking up the reasons why I was right and they were wrong and even at times plotting revenge. Not a pretty picture is it. I am sure no one reading this has ever done those things. Then God reminded me of Joseph. Remember how he was abducted from his father and sold as a slave? They lied to his father and said he was dead so no one would ever search for him. And, you remember who did this to him? His own brothers. I would have dissolved into a mass of resentment and anger. But not Joseph. God helped him to forgive his brothers and that is the only way we will ever be able to forgive. He must so fill our hearts with himself that we come to not only forgive, but actually love that person that offended us. His love can so flow through us that we find ourselves actually wishing good on the very person that wronged us. And that my friend is a miracle. But remember, only God can do that. The real question then is, do we want that miracle to happen. You think about that, Amen.

Thought for the week: It takes just three times as long to tell a lie, on any subject, as it does to tell the truth. -- Josh Billings

Funny for the week: "Anyone Home?"

A social worker who had recently transferred from the big city to the mountains was touring her new territory. She came upon the tiniest cabin she had ever seen. Intrigued, she knocked on the door.

"Anybody home?"

A child's voice answered, "Yep."

"Is your father there?"

"Pa? Nope, he left before Ma came in."

"Well, is your mother there?"

"Nope, Ma left just before I got here."

"Are you never together as a family?"

"Sure, but not here. This is the outhouse!"

City-slickers…………….Chaplain Barnes

Last week’s answer: What were the purposes of the two Jewish calendars? One for civil use and one for the sacred use.

This week’s question: Who was the father of Noah?

No comments: