Monday, July 25, 2011

July 25, 2011


Many years ago when I was in Texas at seminary, my pastor shared this in a sermon. I bought the tape and years later my wife transcribed it for me. It is long, but I encourage you to copy it and put it in your devotional material and read it often. A decade later it would be the ointment that would begin my healing from burn-out. Please, consider keeping a copy and meditating on it often. Author is unknown.
Brokenness
When to do the will of God means that even my Christian brethren will not understand, and I remember that neither did his brethren believe in Him: I bow my head to obey and accept the misunderstanding. This is brokenness.
When I am misrepresented and deliberately misinterpreted, I remember that when Jesus was falsely accused he held his peace and I bow my head to accept the accusation without trying to justify myself. This is brokenness.
When another is preferred before me and I am deliberately passed over, I remember that they cried "away with this man and release Barabus," I bow my head and accept rejection. This is brokenness.
When my plans are brushed aside and I see the work of years brought to ruin for the ambitions of others, I remember Jesus allowed them to lead Him away to crucify Him. I bow my head to accept the injustice without bitterness. This is brokenness.
When in order to be right with my God it is necessary to take the humbling path of confession and restitution, I remember Jesus made Himself of no reputation and humbled Himself even unto death. I bow my head and am ready to accept the shame of exposure. This is brokenness.
When others take unfair advantage of my being a Christian and treat my belongings as public property, I remember the stripped Him and parted His garments casting lots. I bow my head and accept joyfully the spoiling of my own goods for His sake. This is brokenness.
When one acts toward me in an unforgiving way, I remember that when He was crucified, Jesus prayed "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." I bow my head and accept any behavior toward me as permitted by my loving Heavenly Father. This is brokenness.
When people expect the impossible of me and more than time or human strength can give, I remember that Jesus said, "This is my body which is broken for you…" I repent of my self-indulgence and lack of self-giving for others. This is brokenness.
Jesus lived apart from self-effort, self-will and self-glory, and Jesus lived in the power of the Spirit.
Thought for the week: "Any man God would use mightily, He must first break mightily."
Funny for the week: "Good News Dewey"
Olga phoned her husband, Dewey, at work for a chat.
"I'm sorry dear," said Dewey, "but I'm up to my neck in work today. I don't have time to chat."
Olga replied, "But I've got some good news and some bad news for you, dear."
"OK, darling," said Dewey, "but as I've got no time right now, just give me the good news."
"OK," agreed Olga. "Well, the air bag works!"
(Two for one, here is a clean pun.)
Swimming Friends
Morty and Saul, are out one afternoon on a lake when their boat starts sinking.
Saul the banker says to Morty, "So listen, Morty, you know I don't swim so well."
Morty remembered how to carry another swimmer from his lifeguard class when he was just a kid. So Morty begins tugging Saul toward shore.
After twenty minutes, he begins to tire.
Finally about 50 feet from shore, Morty asks Saul, "So Saul, do you suppose you could float alone?"
Saul replies, "Morty, this is a heck of a time to be asking for money!"
I hope I live to be as old as my jokes……….Chaplain Barnes
Last week’s answer: Whom did the Lord signify as the next Israelite leader by means of a fleece and dew? (Gideon. Judges 6: 36-40)
This week’s question: Who was the first husband of Bathsheba?

No comments: