Monday, November 17, 2008

November 17, 2008

"Ask, and it will be given unto you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

One of the traits you often find in police officers is cynicism. That state of mind where you come to never completely believe anyone. Officers are lied to so many times that even when someone tells the truth, they often do not believe them. They build a wall of suspicion, repeating the mantra to themselves that "I'll believe it when a hot place freezes over". (actually they use different words to say that) While this mind set is common and even expected from officers in their work with people, it brings disaster in our walk with God. The reason is that we transfer our suspicions to Him and begin to think thoughts such as, "Does He really love me? Does he really care? Can I really trust Him?" God is aware how tough it is for you to trust Him. He knows all of the times when people have lied to you. But He does want you to learn to trust Him. He wants to show you how much He loves you. If you find yourself being suspicious of God and his promises, find time today to talk to him. Say something like this: "Father, it's hard for me to believe anyone about anything anymore. Help me to trust your Word and your promises. Send me a token today that you really care for me. Help me to learn to trust you even when I can not trust anyone around me." Amen

Thought for the week: Remember every good-looking, sweet, single male is someone else's ex-boyfriend (or ex husband)!

Funny for the week: Math Quiz

Rushing to work, I was driving too fast and as a result was pulled over by the highway patrol. The state trooper noticed that my shirt had the name of a local high school on it. "I teach math there," I explained.

The trooper smiled, and said, "Okay, here's a problem. A teacher is speeding down the highway at 16 M.P.H. over the limit. At $12 for every mile, plus $40 court costs, plus the rise in her insurance, what's her total cost?"

I replied, "Taking that total, subtracting the low salary I receive, multiplying by the number of kids who hate math, then adding to that the fact that none of us would be anywhere without teachers, I'd say zero." He handed me back my license. 

"Math was never my favorite subject," he admitted. "Please slow down."

I didn’t like math either…………….. Chaplain Barnes

PS: Thanks to Pastor Mike for mailing the MMM the last two weeks while I was away on a mission trip.

Last week’s answer: Name the only full brother of Joseph, ruler of Egypt. Benjamin (Gen 35:24)

This week’s question: How many books of the Bible begin with the letter "E"?

No comments: